Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Non Smoking Section

  So often times I am able to see things from every angle as well as backwards and this usually leads people to think I am indecisive.  I like to stand in the middle ground and just observe my surroundings and always try and find the best in people.  Anyway I figured I would post something that I had written in my notes from a while back and I just want to let people know that I am not a hateful person and if you have a problem with this post its ok.  I'm just protecting my son as much as I possibly can.  I wrote this in August of 2010....

“Do you ever want to just punch someone in the face?” I asked my husband as we sat in the parking lot of Target. As he was getting our baby ready for his “Jack Pack” as we call it (baby bJorn thing) to do some quick shopping, my husband sighed. “Are you talking about the two people over there smoking?”“That’s exactly who I’m talking about” I said with a forced smile. This inspired me to write about what has been on my mind for a long time. I’m all for freedom and civil liberties. That being said I’m also for protecting what is inhaled into my babies already predisposed weak lungs. This was by no fault of my own, my husband and I just happened to unknowingly be carriers for Cystic Fibrosis. Unfortunately we both passed our recessive genes on to our otherwise happy, beautiful, healthy baby. I understand that you should be able to do to your body whatever you darn well please. Sure you have the right to fill your lungs with disgusting tar and nicotine and countless other chemicals warned by the surgeon general to cause birth defects. But with all this said, Isn’t it my babies natural human right to breathe fresh open air when he is outside? Everyone reading this knows exactly what I am talking about. We have all been victims to people carelessly allowing their second-hand chemicals to escape into the lungs of the innocent. You see them everywhere, they are outside of smoke-free buildings lighting up. So the moment you exit you get a fresh breath of smoke. They don’t even care! Why should I have to scan parking lots, parks, and other public areas like an infantry-line soldier scouting out potential minefields? Every day I go out into public I have to worry about my baby being exposed to harmful chemicals and its not fair. It’s not fair to me and it most certainly is not fair for him. As his mother I would like every breath he takes to be nicotine-less. I guess that is too much to ask.Maybe there is no way to completely ban smoking. But I think it should be perfectly acceptable to get punched in the face, if you think breathing in your disgusting habit, ruining the otherwise perfectly healthy lungs that you were so lucky to be blessed with is more important than my baby or any other persons lungs. Thanks for listening to my rant. 
Written with ALL the LOVE in the world ;)
Robin Johnson

I know the world doesn't revolve around Jack and I (shocker right?) but if you were in my situation you would probably have the same thought process I do CF sucks and cigarettes are just another catalyst in its nasty arsenal of health hazards for CF'rs.  Let me know what you think?....
Is there a nice way to tell someone they are ruining my sons lungs without sounding like a biotch?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment